- Paperback: 353 pages
- Publisher: Storey Publishing; 1 edition (23 March 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1603429697
- ISBN-13: 978-1603429696
- Product Dimensions: 21.6 x 2.5 x 27.6 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 1.1 Kg
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 65,321 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $11.05 Delivery
Backyard Homestead Guide to Raising Farm Animals Paperback – 23 Mar 2011
|New from||Used from|
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Back Cover
- Gather fresh eggs for fluffy omelets.
- Stuff homemade sausages with meat.
- Fill your omelet with tangy, creamy cheese.
- Stir sweet honey into tea or coffee.
- Fry a steak or bacon as a savory side.
- Top off your meal with a cold glass of milk.
Imagine the satisfaction of feeding your family wholesome eggs, milk, meat, and honey produced by animals raised organically and humanely in your backyard. On as little land as one-tenth of an acre, you can raise healthy, productive barnyard animals and take a big step toward food independence.
Learn how to:
- Raise chickens in brooder boxes
- Determine the freshness of eggs hidden in the backyard
- Roast a duck or goose to perfection
- Make goat-milk yogurt
- Interpret everyday sheep behavior
- Harvest honey
- Raise your own Thanksgiving turkey
- Manage your beef cattle to produce the best-tasting meat
The animal-raising companion to The Backyard Homestead.
About the Author
Gail Damerow has written extensively on raising chickens and other livestock, growing fruits and vegetables, and related rural know-how in more than a dozen books, including the best-selling Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, The Chicken Encyclopedia, The Chicken Health Handbook, and Hatching & Brooding Your Own Chicks. Damerow is a contributor to Chickens and Hobby Farms magazines and a regular blogger for Cackle Hatchery. She lives in Tennessee with her husband, where they operate a family farm with poultry and dairy goats, a sizable garden, and a small orchard. Visit her online at gaildamerow.com.
No customer reviews
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Review this product
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
This book, which exceeded my expectations, was far better than i thought it would be, but everyone who buys it MUST KNOW it's one that, though its thorough, it only briefly deals with each subject.
It is a great starter book but if someone really wanted to get more into one or the other subjects, a book on that particular subject would be needed to supplement.
I love it. For anyone just starting out, and who want to know just the BASICS, I highly suggest this book!