And the rest was history :) I love this book. It was one of my favorite and most memorable from childhood and got me loving avocados (so healthy) from an early age. I recently purchased for my expecting sister.
Buuuuut, it has some edgy themes I was surprised by in a recent reading: namely bullying & robbery. I don't think many would give it a second thought in the 80's (we had cigarette vending machines goddammit), but today...it will raise an eyebrow for some. Not trying to perpetuate overly PC, trigger-warning, Safe Zone thinking...I'm a semi-pro athlete that loves 'locker-room talk'. Just saying.
I still love this book and while it has its imperfections, it sits comfortably in my top ten kiddo books.
P.S. Three other books I loved as a young kid
What Was I Scared Of?: A Glow-in-the Dark Encounter (Classic Seuss)
In the Night Kitchen (Caldecott Collection)
The Rainbow Goblins
- Paperback: 32 pages
- Publisher: Random House Children's Publishers UK; 1 edition (16 June 1994)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0099200619
- ISBN-13: 978-0099200611
- Product Dimensions: 21.6 x 0.3 x 27.9 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 181 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 17,455 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)