A handy and entertaining little book but like most things there is room for a little improvement. Mr Tuffley shows his Brisbane origins in his definition of "Buckleys". He omits to say that it is a rhyming slang coming from Buckley & Nunn, a long defunct Melbourne department store. He omits "One Eyed" which means excessively focused on one thing (usually a particular Aussie Rules football team, here in Melbourne anyway). During a visit by President Obama, our then Prime Minister, Julia Gillard used the phrase in conversation with the President. He was very taken with it and thought that it would be very appropriate when referring to some politicians in the US. Ain't that the truth - particularly right now ! I like this book and recommend it. I have only lived in Australia for 50 years, so I am a relatively recent arrival compared with Mr Tuffley,but I can recall using close to 90% of the words/phrases during that time. I am intrigued by the other 10%. Next month I am joining an American team volunteering in Vietnam. I am sure that they will be amused by most of the expressions in this book.
5.0 out of 5 starsVery helpful for you international online pen-pals of Aussies
31 May 2014 - Published on Amazon.com
I meet up at a Sailor Moon related forum and I'm a good friend of a co-admin. The challenges with him was he lived in Australia, which is across the ocean, equator and date line.
Taking into account metric measurement, his distance, the weather in the Southern Hemisphere and the fact our communiques may be delay was find, but the terms he used from time to time, meant deducing from context.
Eventually, I had a chance to go through it and now everything is clearer now.
I admire when I'm given the definition to Aussie slang (some of which is part of the American lexicon and phraseology).
I give it 5 stars for the fact it had help a lot in clarification of born-and-bred Aussies and the slang that made their culture.
5.0 out of 5 starsLondon to a brick THIS book does the trick!
5 April 2018 - Published on Amazon.com
Mr. Tuffley's book is a must have for World travelers visiting a wonderful country, known universally as, the "land down under." I had the privilege to visit both Albany and Melbourne in Australia back in 1992. During that time I was a sailor onboard the USS Kinkaid, Destroyer (DD-965). This brilliant book would have a been the quintessential companion for me on my visit at that time. Outstanding, charming and quite educational. Hey Dave, remind me to buy you a VB, if I ever have the honor of meeting you at the local pub. Keep up the outstanding work and God bless you sir.
I bought this as gift for a friend who was traveling to Australia this month. I thought it would be a short, educational, and funny way to kill time on the long air flight from the states to 'down under.' My friend loved this book so my rating is based on his,not my, reaction to it. He started laughing when he first opened the book and started reading. I think he was a bit surprised that two countries which claim the English language could be so different. I can't wait to buy him a similar book when he travels to England. WR