Other Sellers on Amazon
+ FREE Delivery
August Home Doorbell Cam Pro, Dark Grey
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question may be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who purchased this item, who are all part of the Amazon community.
Please make sure that you've entered a valid question. You can edit your question or post anyway.
Please enter a question.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Customers who bought this item also bought
|5 star 57% (57%)||57%|
|4 star 14% (14%)||14%|
|3 star 8% (8%)||8%|
|2 star 9% (9%)||9%|
|1 star 12% (12%)||12%|
Review this product
Top international reviews
Un ami m'a suggéré cette caméra et je vous assure que c'est un des meilleurs achats que j'ai fait.
Build Quality - no concerns there. I like the styling a lot and the wedge feature to mount the doorbell however you feel is appropriate for your front door space.
Installation - super easy, just need some basic tools
App Integration - if you own an August lock, I highly recommend getting this doorbell as it makes the most sense. You just need to be aware of the limitations of the product in this generation
1st Complaint - won't work with digital doorbell kits: This product does not work with digital doorbells. I find this to be a bit ridiculous since I understand Ring does work with a good list of digital door chime kits. In order to install the August Doorbell Cam Pro 2 I had to go out to Home Depot and purchase a $20 mechanical door chime and uninstall my digital doorbell to replace it with an old school setup. Not to mention, my digital doorbell was flush mounted in my hallway and the mechanical chime is another large box protruding from the wall. Now, I'm not a programmer in the tech world by any means as I'm sure there is a large investment to accomplish digital doorbell integration BUT I believe that this puts August behind the competition in the current market.
2nd Complaint - motion sensing is not great: I had to fuss with motion sensing significantly to find a sweet spot and to this day I still have not found it. I have the sensitivity turned up to 78% (0 - 100 scale) and there are many many times where I have had people come up to the door, including myself and friends, where it does not recognize any movement yet it recognizes cars in the street going by. This is the largest flaw of this product and particularly maddening considering the price I paid for it. I believe this may have to do with the camera not being as good as it needs to be. See 3rd complaint below....
3rd Complaint - camera exposure isn't accurate: I have a front porch about 12'x11' (small) and it is in the shade constantly during the day. At night, I have an LED R30 floodlight above that lights the entire porch very well. During the day, the exposure is particularly poor in the shade. The camera is not smart enough to properly expose people's body's and faces in the shade when it is sunny just outside the porch. Case in point, I can pull out my iPhone 7 and simulate it in the exact position/environment as the doorbell and it will auto expose to a more correct image where the August Doorbell Cam Pro will not. I believe the camera and imaging technology needs to be improved for their next generation.
4th Complaint - no motion zone creation: I did some research after I purchased this Doorbell Cam Pro and saw that Ring offers motion zone creation. This would be extremely beneficial so that I can avoid picking up cars in the street and adjust my motion sensitivity according to the specific zones I need alerts on.
In closing, the doorbell cam is overall OK however I believe these features are necessary for it to be a GOOD or GREAT product. I hope that future updates and/or the next generation cam can address these issues.
In addition, August Tech Support was totally useless. During my interactions with August Tech Support I spent over 4 hours on the phone with them and spoke with at least 6 tech agents, including 2 supervisors. None of them had any idea how to fix any of the above issues, and they never admitted that these issues had ever been reported before (very hard to believe). I sent them photos of my voltmeter showing 18 AC volts for my doorbell system, and they still did not believe me that my doorbell voltage was, in fact, 18 volts!
Bottom line: The August Cam Pro, 2nd Generation could be a great product, but the manufacturing quality control is abysmal (made in China?). Customer support is totally worthless. Not one of the agents had any idea how to troubleshoot any of my issues, and it took hours for them to agree to replace the defective ones. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT UNTIL THERE IS EVIDENCE THEY HAVE FIXED THESE ISSUES!
I am sending back
- For some reason when I had a Huawei Mate 9 Android phone, I would get an error when trying to view the camera. Turns out it was the phone and the app combo. I got a Oneplus 6T phone now and the app works better, but not perfectly. On occasion I still am not able to view the camera live or answer the doorbell. I usually need to force close the app and restart it, then it works. Working with support proved to be challenging. They sent me a replacement doorbell to try (refurbished) which I couldn't even pair with the app. Trying to troubleshoot that with them was useless. I was ready to give it up until I just tried another phone, and it worked. It would be nice if they did a desktop or browser app.
- This is a huge issue. Since it started getting warm/sunny (I'm in Central Florida), the doorbell goes offline daily from around 11am to 4pm. The front of my house faces south so the doorbell is in direct sun so it looks like it overheats. To be fair Ring doorbell had issues also. But when I've dealt with Ring support, they are MUCH more responsive and helpful than August support. I tried to reach out to August support on this issue, seeing if they have some type of shade accessory for the doorbell and have gotten no response. Not surprised based on my past dealings with them. So most of the time the doorbell is useless when it's warmer. I'm trying to find something I can shade the doorbell with (that doesn't block the camera too much) and I haven't had much luck.
- Outside of these specific issues, the doorbell and lock work well together, and work well with Alexa. I also have a Smartthings hub, and am able to control the lock from there and integrate it into a smart home ecosystem. If your current doorbell is not in direct sunlight, and you have a more popular phone (LG, Samsung, Pixel), I'd definitely recommend the doorbell and lock together. If you're a person that uses vendor support a lot though, be prepared to be disappointed, and annoyed when you have issues.
I'm giving the doorbell 3 stars, because for this price, their support should be better. Also, they should have some type of way to compensate homes that current doorbell faces the sun.
* Comparing this to my Arlo Pro 2 security cameras, the August is much more reliable (no false alarms with the August)
* The Arlo Pro 2 triggers recording after motion is detected and I sometimes miss the first few seconds that can be important.
* The video field of view isn't as wide as the Ring but the August Doorbell camera video isn't as distorted either.
* You can retain your indoor door bell chime and additionally either use the outdoor chime too or silence the out door chime.
* There are no batteries!