Bought the fencing manual because I practice HEMA, but it's definitely not for the feint of heart. It's challenging to read and interpret, especially if you're doing it solo. For the casual practioners, I wouldn't recommend starting with this, despite what you might read from other HEMAists (they would probably recommend the 1570 edition anyway). The treatise's terminology is difficult, and the archaic language makes figuring out the instructions painful.
Start with YouTube videos first. If you have access to instructors and/or study groups, go with them as well. Only then should you consider reading the treatise.
I don't regret the purchase as it's the actual translation of a historical manual. But it will take a while before I try to go through it again.
- Hardcover: 144 pages
- Publisher: Frontline (1 November 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1473876753
- ISBN-13: 978-1473876750
- Product Dimensions: 16.5 x 2.5 x 24.1 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 440 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 113,212 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)