I initially got started with Ancestry because of their DNA testing and the resources to do research on genealogy.
However, after about a year with them, they decided to do a "major technology improvement" in their web services.
At that time, I suddenly was unable to access my account, my data, any messages from other users who attempted to contact me, and all of the information that I had gathered and stored on their server.
I repeatedly called them and talked with their technical services who first denied that they had done anything to have caused me to lose access. They repeatedly told me that I MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG and NEEDED TO CHANGE MY SETTINGS, sending me a page long set of instructions to reset all of my computer settings to something that I had never had to set them to before their technical "updates". None of the instructions they sent me worked. I then demanded that I get back my payments for their annual fees, and they told me that they couldn't do that, but would give me 3 months worth of free service on the next year's membership. However, I still couldn't ACCESS ANYTHING when I attempted to sign in. After several YEARS of NOT BEING ABLE TO ACCESS MY ACCOUNT, and NO HELP from their IT Department, I happened to stumble upon one of their "sister" website locations IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY, which ACKNOWLEDGED that their technical changes DID CAUSE ME TO BE BOOTED OUT AND UNABLE TO SIGN IN. They also indicated that they had switched over to supporting a DIFFERENT WEB BROWSER than the one I had been using, so mine would NOT ALLOW ME TO ACCESS their website. I had also run into numerous problems with their customer "LACK OF" service. They told me that all I needed to do was to do a sign in and password reset to get back on. However, THAT PAGE WAS HIDDEN from me because I HAD TO BE SIGNED IN TO FIND IT. They told me that they had no problems signing into my account (OF COURSE NOT - THEY HAD DIRECT ACCCESS TO THEIR SIGN ON SERVER, WHICH I WAS BEING DENIED ACCESS TO!) They told me to sign in using the sign on and password that they gave me and then change the sign on and password to something that I wanted for security purposes. As soon as I did that, I lost ALL CONNECTIVITY TO THEIR SERVER AGAIN.
Interestingly, on an older machine, I was able to get onto their services WITHOUT HAVING TO SIGN ON OR PROVIDE A PASSWORD because it just opened up an old saved session. Unfortunately, when Microsoft did an automatic update on that computer, I lost access AGAIN.
When I followed instructions from the sister website FROM A DIFFERENT COUNTRY than the US, I WAS ABLE TO GET ACCESS AGAIN, without having to change web browsers or make any of the changes that their IT Customer "lack of" Service offered in the US. AND THEY ADMITTED THAT MY LACK OF ACCESS HAD TO DO WITH ANCESTRY'S TECHNICAL UPDATES! I've STILL NOT RECEIVED ANY COMPENSATION FOR THE SEVERAL YEARS that i did not have service with them.
My advice to anyone who wants to get into a program that offers genealogical services would be to AVOID ANCESTRY.COM AT ALL COSTS, AND GO ELSEWHERE MORE REPUTABLE, who will back up their program with customer service and IT people who KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!
- Bug fixes