Alpha Industries Men's MA-1 Flight Bomber Jacket
- Zip front with internal storm flap.LINING: 100% Nylon,FILL: 100% Polyester
- Snap flap pockets
- Rib collar, cuffs and hem
- Alpha Industries' signature utility pocket and flight ribbon on the sleeve creates an authentic bomber jacket look
- Fill - 100% Polyester
- Recommended for Intermediate Weather
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the manufacturer
In 1959 Alpha Industries was commissioned by the department of defense to design and manufacture high performance outerwear for the U.S. military. The company quickly became synonymous with developing the iconic MA-1, M-65, and N-3B trusted by soldiers, sailors and aviators to protect them from the most dire conditions across the land, sea and air. Today, Alpha’s mission is to protect and inspire heroism in all forms by outfitting men and women to realize their limitless potential.
- Shell: 100% Flight Nylon
- Lining: 100% Nylon
- Fill: 100% Polyester
- Fit: core
- Length: above hip
- Intermediate weather
- Dry clean only
Alpha Industries MA-1
Constructed from mid-weight flight nylon with water resistance, the MA-1 fighter pilot jacket was one of the first military flight jacket to cross over into civilian fashion. This current version has been kept as close as possible to the classic military specifications.
Introduced by the mid-1950s, the MA-1 became the flight jacket of U.S. Air Force and Navy pilots and ground crew. Designed for use in temperatures of 14-50 degrees F, the MA-1 had a 100% wool knit collar, waistband and cuffs. The MA-1 discarded the mouton fur collar of its predecessor, the B-15, because it interfered with the parachute harness worn by aviators. Other features of the jacket included a tab that the oxygen mask was clipped to, tabs to hold the headset wires in place and the original U.S. Air Force decal. These features were eventually removed from the flight jacket as it was adopted by other branches of the U.S. Armed Forces and equipment for pilots changed.
No customer reviews
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Review this product
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
I'm 5'9" 176lbs, 41" chest, 32" waist, 16" arms, muscular athletic build. I bought the medium and small sizes to try. The small fits me well. Sleeves are perfect, rides right above the waist, doesn't look boxy. Fits like the picture on the model. Zipped, it's a little tight at the chest but looks better than the medium on me.
The medium fit in the chest but the sleeves were too long and bunched up at the wrist. The medium was unflatteringly boxy, especially at the waist.
I tried the slim fit medium and it was too tight everywhere but the waist. Very satisfied with the small.
This jacket (although it's MADE IN CHINA) is the real deal. Fits according to size chart. Heavy duty construction and was well worth the extra $40 compared to all the knockoffs that are being sold.
As a big man 6'4" 280 the XXXl the sizes posted was spot on. It's long enough and don't ride up your back or belly.
You can tell by the weight that it is well constructed and is built to last. If you are looking for this type of jacket, don't settle for the $45 one it's junk. Spend the extra money for a quality product.
Alpha, you would get the full 5 stars if Americans made this jacket.
I look forward to wearing it.
2XS 14-14 1/2 29-31 26-28 29-31 30-31 31 Regular 5'6" to 6' 120-130
XS 14-14 1/2 32-34 28-30 32-34 31-32 31 1/2 130-145
S 14-14 1/2 35-38 30-32 35-38 32-33 31 1/2 145-160
M 15-15 1/2 38-40 33-35 38-40 33-34 32 160-175
L 16-16 1/2 42-44 36-38 42-44 34-35 32 175-190
XL 17-17 1/2 46-48 40-42 46-48 35-36 32 1/2 190-215
2XL 18-18 1/2 50-52 44-46 50-52 36-37 32 1/2 215-230
3XL 19-19 1/2 54-56 48-50 54-56 37-38 33 230-245
4XL 20-20 1/2 58-60 52-54 58-60 38-39 33 245-260
5XL 20-20 1/2 62-64 56-58 62-64 39-40 33 260-275
MT 15-15 1/2 38-40 33-35 38-40 34-35 34 Tall 6'1" to 6'4" 170-185
LT 16-16 1/2 42-44 36-38 42-44 35-36 34 185-200
XLT 17-17 1/2 46-48 40-42 46-48 36-37 34 1/2 200-225
2XLT 18-18 1/2 50-52 44-46 50-52 37-38 34 1/2 225-240
1) Order 1 size up. At least on me, I'm glad I ordered the XL rather than the L.
2) It is bulky. That might not be for everyone, but I didn't have a problem with it. Look up Steve McQueen in the movie "The Hunter". That's part of the classic styling. There's a slim fit version of this jacket, but I didn't order it and can't speak to it.
3) The sleeves are longer than the waist, so it rides up your back when sitting down. There are tall sizes available on the AI website, but not sure if that would throw off your sleeve length.
4) This jacket is warm. Easily a 3 season jacket (Fall, Winter (especially with layering. Another reason to go a size up), and Spring). Not sure how it would hold up in arctic temperatures, but in summer (even cool summer nights I think), you'll be way too hot.
5) It looks great and is versatile. Except for formal business settings, this jacket can go from work to play rather easily.