Before this book, I only knew Carver as a writer of short stories, some of my favorites, and after it I feel like I have met the man.
It is somewhat daunting, a huge book of poetry, spanning more than a decade, but I was mostly sucked in from the start, and it didn’t let go. He was not a perfect man, probably not even a very good one, but who is?
And who is brave enough to put the rawness of their struggles and failings on the page, for everyone to see and judge? Carver did, and they are stunning – as raw and powerful as his prose.
I found this book exactly when I needed it, and as I worked through it, I appreciated what it had to say about life, love, loss, and being an imperfect person in an imperfect world.
And sometimes - being reborn.
- Paperback: 386 pages
- Publisher: Vintage Books; Reprint edition (4 April 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0375703802
- ISBN-13: 978-0375703805
- Product Dimensions: 13.1 x 2.2 x 20.3 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 295 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 253,718 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)