Ad Astra (2013) is a SF collection. This volume contains eleven stories by John Hemry under his pseudonym of Jack Campbell.
- "Lady Be Good" (Analog, 2006) rescues a few crewmen from a pirated starship.
- "As You Know, Bob" (Analog, 2007) concerns a story for an editor who wants more.
- "Do No Harm" (Analog, 2007) builds a spaceship with autonomous systems like the human body.
- "Down the Rabbit Hole" (Analog, 2001) assigns a systems officer to fly the seventh FTL ship.
- "Generation Gap" (Analog, 2002) confronts a generation ship with a stable society with a typically chaotic planet.
- "Kyrie Eleison" (Analog, 2006) brings a starship to a failing colony ruled by officers who revise the survival manual.
- "Odysseus" (Analog, 1999) puts a starship out of U-Space near an ancient derelict.
- "One Small Spin" (Analog, 1994) modifies the news of ROVER landing on Mars to sound more positive.
- "Section Seven" (Analog, 2003) delivers a Federation agent to Valentia to eliminate attempts to change standards.
- "Standards of Success" (Analog, 2005) requires astronauts on Mars to accommodate instructions from Earth.
- "The Bookseller of Bastet" (Analog, 2008) relates the fate of a bookstore owner on a warring planet.
These tales cover a wide range of strange circumstances. Each has an introduction telling of the origins of these stories. Unfortunately, most deal with typical human errors, but some overcome these problems.
The most satisfactory story in this collection is probably "Eyrie Eleison". "Lady Be Good" is more typical of the author's novels. "The Bookseller of Bastet" is more typical of the current sociological situation.
The next installment in this sequence has not yet been announced on Amazon. However, a new Lost Stars novel -- Shattered Spear -- is coming in a few months..
Recommended for Campbell -- and Hemry -- fans and for anyone else who enjoys tales of human frailties, system errors, and offbeat situations. Read and enjoy!
-Arthur W. Jordin
- Paperback: 198 pages
- Publisher: Jabberwocky Literary Agency, Inc. (13 February 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 162567032X
- ISBN-13: 978-1625670328
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 1.3 x 22.9 cm
- Boxed-product Weight: 358 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item