I finished the original 5 Year Journal a few years ago and wanted to get another. Unfortunately, the people who have taken over Clement's wonderful journal have ruined it. All they had to do it replicate the original, for which they presumably had all the necessary rights. They could have doubled the price and I would have paid it. I sent this one back.
Here is what is wrong with this journal:
- The binding is cheap. It won't lay flat without breaking the spine.
- The paper is thin and cheap and likely not acid-free. Any decent ink pen will bleed through. I treasure my original and the thought that the paper might break down is unacceptable.
- It's smaller than the original. About 1/4" on each side.
- As a result of being smaller the space for entries has been squashed.
I get that good bindings and quality paper are expensive. But anyone who commits to a journal of this length wants something that will be a joy to go daily and that will last for years after. This feels like something created by people who like the idea of a 5 year journal but not actually using one for that long (much less saving it for years after). Doreene Clement's original was wonderful. I wish somebody could have just replicated that.
- Buy a selected textbook and get free expedited shipping. Offered by Amazon AU. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)